Tuesday, July 2, 2013

(Skinny) Strawberry & Blueberry Cobbler



Do you have any big plans for July 4th? The holiday is actually a big milestone for me. Last year, I badly broke my leg and it's been a (very slow and painful) uphill battle since then. It's not anywhere near 100% yet but my life is finally starting to get back to normal.

We have friends from Texas coming to see us this week (weeee!!!) and we have big plans for the 4th that involve lots of outdoor activities. I'm no wilderness girl but I'm embracing my new-found mobility and going to try and participate as much as possible. If you don't hear from me for awhile, you know I overdid it! :)

One of my diet downfalls are potlucks. I'm a sucker for homemade goodies brought by my friends, and the buffet that calls me to graze is more than I can resist. Cobbler typically finds a place at the table for most southern BBQs and picnics so this cobbler is PERFECT if you're trying to eat healthier. Even if you aren't counting calories, you'll still find it delicious and easy.

By swapping out some of the butter for canola oil, and using whole wheat flour, you greatly reduce the calories. Any fruit could be used, too - I went for my faves, strawberries and blueberries, which just happen to be red and blue for July 4th!

Throw it all in your cast iron skillet and it'll be pretty enough to go from oven to table.

Stay safe, don't fall off the porch and break your leg, and HAVE FUN this July 4th!


{Skinny} Strawberry & Blueberry Cobbler
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup reduced-fat milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3.5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
2 cups fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350.

Add butter and oil to a 12 inch cast iron skillet and place in the oven until melted and fragrant, 5-7 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add milk, sugar, and vanilla. Stir to combine.

Add the melted butter/oil to the bowl and stir to combine. Pour batter into the hot pan.

Spoon strawberries and blueberries evenly over the batter.

Return pan to oven  and bake until the top is browned and the batter around the fruit is completely set, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Remove to wire rack and cool at least 15 minutes before serving warm.

Makes 10 servings. Each serving: 182 calories; 8g fat (3g sat, 3g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 26g carbohydrates; 3g protein; 3g fiber; 212mg sodium; 140mg potassium.

Source: slightly adapted from Eating Well

21 comments :

  1. I know it is hard to give up sweets so finding one that is lower in calories is great. I am following you via GFC and Bloglovin.
    Have a wonderful week,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS hard to find lower calorie sweet options! Thanks for following :)

      Delete
  2. Well I hope you made it through the 4th without any more breaks :) Thanks so much for sharing at Best of the Weekend. Have a wonderful holiday weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi! This looks delicious! I love the veggies... thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations... you are being featured in the round up this weekend... I would love for you to come over and share your feature on Facebook, Pinterest or G+....I'm a new follower :o) You can see the post here: http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/07/fresh-food-for-summer-featuring-you.html
    OH and grab a featured button to show off!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'g so glad that you are doing better now! Enjoy the time with your friends.

    This cobbler looks fabulous. I am thinking about making a Cherry Cobbler or Crisp this weekend. I hope you have a good one!

    Julie @ This Gal Cooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything with cherry is destined to be delicious - hope it turned out well!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great cobbler. Thanks for sharing on Two Cup Tuesday. Pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi found you on the Best of the weekend linky party on cooking with Curls. I love your skinny version and the combination of blueberries and strawberries is great. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is featured on buzzfeed community. spread the word! :-)

    http://www.buzzfeed.com/loudstellar/15-awesome-foods-that-prove-that-strawberry-and-bl-qfi4

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should proceed your writing. I am confident, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you again for allowing me to read these posts, and have a nice day today. Thank youuu.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you your posts are neatly organized with the information

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting! I was thinking the same thing as you. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. I have a lot of interesting ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such an amazing and helpful post. I really really love it

    ReplyDelete

  14. Such clever blog work and exposure! Keep up the very good works

    ReplyDelete



See Aimee Cook


Follow on Bloglovin

Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Amy Teets
I was featured, I was Featured by Addicted to Recipes
What's cooking, love?
Lil\'Luna
Mandy's Recipe Box
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved